It’s official! After many years of advocacy from professional associations and practitioners in the field, the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) once again offers accommodations for English as a Second Language (ESL) test takers!
To qualify for this accommodation, the BBS requires you to meet one of the following criteria and to provide accompanying documentation:
1. Score of 85 or below on the Test of English as a Foreign Language, Internet-Based Test (TOEFL-iBT), taken within the two (2) years prior to application
· Required Documentation: Your TOEFL-iBT scores must be sent directly to the Board from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), or you may attach them in an envelope that has been SEALED BY ETS.
2. Prior ESL accommodation granted by your qualifying degree program
· Required Documentation: Attach a letter from the chair of the degree program or from the school’s chief academic officer.
3. Degree program that qualified you for licensure was obtained from a school outside of the United States AND at least 50% of the coursework was presented in a language other than English
· Attach a letter from the chair of the degree program or from the school’s chief academic officer.
The BBS form can be found here: